Terms and Conditions
The Booking Conditions for Great Plains Conservation:
1. Bookings are accepted on the condition that guests have their own comprehensive travel insurance cover.
2. Bookings are confirmed upon receipt of a 30% deposit of the quoted reservation cost.
3. The balance is payable in full 45 days prior to arrival date.
a) More than 120 days prior to arrival, the deposit will be returned nett of any bank charges
b) Between 120 and 46 days prior to arrival – the 30% deposit will be forfeited
c) Between 45 and 22 days prior to arrival – 50% of the full value of the reservation will be forfeited
d) Less than 21 days [prior to arrival and No Shows – 100% is forfeited
5. Room / Tent check out time is 10:00 a.m. on the day of departure and check in is 11:00 a.m. on day of arrival (NO LATE DEPARTURES)
6. We reserve the right to review published rates in the event of currency exchange rate fluctuation, increases in costs or taxes, that are beyond our control.
7. Liability: All bookings are accepted on the specific condition that Bush and Beyond Ltd. acts only as the reservations office for the properties, and assumes no liability whatsoever for any injury, damage, loss, accident or delay to person or property.
8. How to Book: Please fill out the reservation form received from your travel agent and send it with a non-refundable deposit of 20% of the total accommodation costs, to your agent. On receipt of your signed reservation form and deposit, we will, subject to availability, reserve your place at Old Donyo Wuas Lodge or on your selected Ride Kenya safari departure. When we send off your confirmation invoice to the travel agent through whom you booked, your booking is confirmed and accepted by us. Final payment is due to your agent not later than 8 weeks prior to departure.
9. Cancellation: Cancellations are only effective on receipt of written notification. If cancellation is prior to 8 weeks before departure the deposit is forfeited. If the cancellation is made after the due date for full payment of the tour fare, charges will be levied. The scale of charges, expressed as a percentage of the total price, is as follows:
More than 8 weeks’ notice – Deposit forfeited
Less than 8 weeks’ notice – Deposit plus 25%
Less than 4 weeks’ notice – 50%
Less than 3 weeks’ notice – 60%
Less than 2 weeks’ notice – 100%
Should a guest fail to join a safari or join it after departure or leave it prior to its completion, no refund can be made.
10. Change a Booking: After the booking has been confirmed, should the guest wish to change to an earlier departure date, he/she may do so subject to availability by paying a transfer fee of US$25 per person. Normal cancellation fees apply for postponing departure plus the US$25 per person.
11. Baggage: For safety and because space is restricted on aircraft, baggage in charter aircraft is restricted to a maximum of 12kg per person in a soft bag. This includes camera equipment and carry-on baggage. Should guests arrive with excess baggage without prior warning their baggage could be delayed as baggage may have to be flown into camp at a later stage at considerable extra cost to the guest. However, should the guest know in advance that the baggage will exceed the limit, an extra seat can be booked for the bags on the aircraft, at an additional cost.
12. Wild Animals and the wilds: Please be aware that these safaris may take guests into close contact with wild animals. Attacks by wild animals are rare, but no safari into the African wilderness can guarantee that this will not occur. Neither the company, nor their employees, nor agents can be held responsible for any injury or incident on the safari. Please note that all our camps are unfenced. Please also note that these safaris will take you over dirt tracks and across remote plains in some of the most remote parts of Africa. If this is not what you are after, then there are many more civilized parts of the world that are more suited to your travel.
13. Age Limits in Ol Donyo Wuas and Ride Kenya:
a) Old Donyo Wuas: We have no minimum age in Ol Donyo Wuas. We have family rooms that have two bedrooms and a separate lounge under one roof. These rooms are perfect for families. Please book one of these for your family. However, families with children under 12 will have to hire a private vehicle and guide at an additional cost of US$250 per day per vehicle and guide. The private vehicle facility will allow families to enjoy their own routine in the lodge and on game drives without worrying about disturbing other guests.
b) Ride Kenya: Experienced riders over the age of 12 are welcome on the Ride Kenya safaris. Less experienced riders should book into Ol Donyo Wuas and enjoy the half or full day safaris from there. We are able to cater for riders of any standard on these shorter safaris.
14. Private Vehicles: Guests who enjoy privacy and their own routine while on their game drives will be able to hire a private vehicle and guide at an additional cost of US$250 per day per vehicle and guide. This is on a first come first served basis and must be booked in advance and is subject to availability of the extra guide and vehicle.
15. Health: Please consult your doctor for specific advice. Ol Donyo Wuas is located at high enough altitude to be out of the malarial zone, but guests on Ride Kenya could be traversing areas where it is possible that malaria could be encountered. If you are a contagious-disease carrier, you must let us know when booking your safari.
16. Ride Kenya specifics: We have a selection of 20 horses, from thoroughbreds to great “boerperds”. Please let us know your riding standard prior to arrival. Please also be aware that we cannot take anyone weighing over 200lbs (or 210 lbs if you are a very experienced rider). We cover between 12 and 20 miles per day on horseback and riders can expect to be in the saddle for up to 6 hours per day. Overnights will be spent in our luxury mobile tented camp, with all chores handled by our camp staff.
17. Not Included in your tariff: The cost of getting to Ol Donyo Wuas; Compulsory insurance to cover for cancellation and curtailment, medical, baggage, money and emergency evacuation back home; imported beverages; gratuities to guides and to staff; any excursion not related to the safari (e.g. a day trip to Amboseli and its related Park fees); costs of photographing Maasai villagers (around US$10 per person); cost of massages;
a) Neither Ol Donyo Wuas / Ride Kenya (the company), Richard Bonham Safaris or Bush & Beyond, nor any person or agent acting for, through or on behalf of the Company shall be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising from any cause whatsoever and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, shall specifically not be responsible for loss or damage arising from any errors or omissions contained in its brochure, website or other literature, nor loss or damage caused by delays, sickness, theft, injury or death.
b) In the event of any safari being rendered impossible, illegal or inadvisable by weather, strike, war, government or interference or any other cause whatsoever, the extra expenses incurred as a result thereof shall be the responsibility of the guest.
c) The Company may at its discretion and without liability or cost to itself at any time cancel or terminate the guest’s booking and in particular without limiting the generality of the foregoing it shall be entitled to do so in the event of the illness or the illegal or incompatible behaviour of the guest, who shall in such circumstances not be entitled to any refund.
d) The person making any booking will, by the making of such booking, warrant that he or she has authority to enter into a contract on behalf of the other person/s included in such a booking and in the event of the failure of any or all of the other persons so included to make payment, the person making the booking shall by his/her signature thereof assume personal liability for the total price of all bookings made by him/her.
19. Photography: The Company reserves the right without further notice to make use of any photograph or film taken on the safari by our photographers without payment or permission. We guarantee that no photographs of a compromising nature will be used.
20. Changes: Although every effort is made to adhere to schedules, it should be borne in mind that the Company reserves the right and in fact is obliged to occasionally change routines as dictated by changing conditions
21. Insurance: It is a condition of booking, that the sole responsibility lies with the guests to ensure that they carry the correct comprehensive travel and medical insurance to cover themselves, as well as any dependants/travelling companions. This insurance should include cover in respect of, but not limited to, the following eventualities: cancellation or curtailment of the safari, emergency evacuation expenses, medical expenses, repatriation expenses, damage/theft/loss of personal baggage, money and goods. The company, their representatives, employees and agents will take no responsibility for any costs, losses incurred or suffered by the guest, or guest’s dependants or travelling companions, with regards to, but not limited to, any of the abovementioned eventualities. Guests will be charged directly by the relevant service providers for any emergency services they may require, and may find themselves in a position unable to access such services should they not be carrying the relevant insurance cover.
22. Air charters: Please note that we subcontract the flying services to independent charter operations and they are responsible for the flying. There is a daily flight schedule into and out of Ol Donyo Wuas every morning from Wilson Airport in Nairobi. Guests can also arrange direct charters from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to Ol Donyo Wuas.
23. Prices: We do our utmost to keep to the prices published. Should increases be forced on us by airlines, exchange rates, etc., we reserve the right to surcharge without notice, up to a maximum of 15% of the tour fare.
24. Delays: We cannot be held liable for any delays or additional costs incurred as a result of airlines not running to schedule.
25. This agreement is made subject to and shall be governed by and construed according to the laws of Kenya.
26. Consent: The payment of the deposit OR any other partial payment for a reservation on a safari constitutes consent by all guests covered by that payment to all provisions of the conditions and general information contained in this brochure whether the guest has signed the booking form or not. The terms under which the guest agrees to these safaris cannot be changed or amended except in writing signed by an authorised director of the Company.
27. To the best of our knowledge the information on this website and in our brochures and publicity material is correct on this date. We cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies or changes that may occur hereafter.